Monday, October 09, 2006

First Post

Feeling kind of behind the eight ball today. Got up too early and wasn't ambitious enough. Ended up reading too many blogs and not getting enough work done.

My wife is very good at encouraging me lately. That hasn't always been the case, but she seems to have the grace for it at the present, thank God. I am still standing at 8:30 thanks to her picking up the sophmore doing the Monday library run.

Slowly getting through Lewis Carrol's Euclid and His Modern Rivals. After a few years of beginning my Honors Geometry class with Book I of the Elements (yes, raw Euclid) I am interested to see how other teachers have taught this stuff down through the ages. I am especially interested in source of problems to be given students between the theorems. Would they increase student understanding and confidence, or merely bog down the relentless push to I.47 and I.48?

Yes I am a math teacher at a private school in Western Twin Cities of Minnesota. I am in my 21st year of teaching and ready to "give back to the community" so to speak. I think my next post might be about the new NCTM Curriculum Focal Points just released. But first I have to read them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Abecedarius Rex said...

Dodgson's work on Euclid is pretty good. I've read excerpts.
And hey, reading blogs IS WORK. Take a break; have a brew; you've earned it.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Geometricus: Welcome to local Catholic blogging! I've added you to my: Support your Local Blog blogroll.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home